All the details about how we collect, use and share personal information about you
At Honey Insurance, we consider that your data is continuously yours, and that personal information remains private unless you choose otherwise. We do our very best to protect the confidentiality and security of the information that you share with us.
What kind of information do we collect?
Things you do and information you provide
When you sign up to Honey Insurance, we collect personal information from you. The type of information depends on what you choose to share with us and how you use Honey Insurance, which may include:
Your name, date of birth and gender
Contact details such as your residential address, telephone numbers, email and social media handles
Information necessary to providing a product or service, such as:
- Underwriting information like your claims history and house history
- Financial institution account details like your credit card or bank account number, for example if the product or service is paid for in this way or to make a claim payment
Information obtained as part of the management and processing of a claim, for example information on a police report
Details of insurance policies you hold or have held
Sensitive information such as health information (for example, where health is relevant to underwriting an insurance policy or dealing with, managing or processing a personal injury claim) or criminal records (for example where this information is relevant to underwriting an insurance policy or processing a claim)
Your location or activity including IP address, and whether you’ve accessed third party sites
Other information we think will be relevant
We also collect other information you provide when you use our products or services, including when you sign up for an account, purchase a financial product, or make a claim. We collect information about how you use our products or services, such as the content you view or engage with, or the frequency and duration of your activities.
Depending on the permissions you give us we collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access our products or services. We may use this information we collect to provide consistent products and services across your devices. Here are some examples of the device information we collect:
- Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers
- Device locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals
- Connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address
Information from third-party partners
Majority of the time we collect your personal information directly from you when we can. Sometimes we collect your personal information from someone else, like:
- Our authorised representatives, distributors, referrers, agents, business partners, affiliates, insurers or related companies
- Our service providers
- Third parties for the purposes of assessing a claim
- People you have authorised us to deal with about your policy
- The Australian Financial Complaints Authority or any other external dispute resolution body
- The Insurance Reference Services, by accessing the Insurance Reference Services database
- Any other organisation or person where you have consented to them providing your personal information to us or consented to us collecting personal information from them
Telephone, email and chat conversations
All telephone conversations with customers are recorded and safely maintained for quality and coaching purposes. All emails and chat sessions are also stored securely.
How do we take care of your personal information?
We really care about the security of your personal information and we take measures to protect it from being exploited. We manage to do this by having the following in place:
- Confidentiality requirements and privacy training of our employees
- Security measures to control access to our systems and premises
- Only giving access to personal information to a person who is verified to be able to receive that information
- Ensuring third parties meet Honey’s privacy obligations
- Electronic security systems, such as firewalls and data encryption on our website
We only keep your information for as long as we need it or as required by law. When we no longer need it, we will make sure that your information is destroyed or de-identified.
How do we use your information?
We will use your personal information for the purposes we collected it, as well as purposes that are related, such as the following purposes:
- Dealing with your enquiries
- Considering your application for a product or service
- Pricing an insurance policy (including deciding what excess to offer and determining if any discounts are available)
- Providing a product or service
- Processing claims
- Debt collection
- Managing complaints
- Managing our business operations (including our IT infrastructure and website,) and company research and development
- For marketing purposes
- Auditing, quality assurance and training
- Any other purposes we’ll let you know about when we collect your personal information and as allowed by law
You may contact us at any time to “opt out” of receiving marketing communications or unsubscribe by following the links in any relevant electronic messages.
How is your information shared?
We share your personal information with third-party service providers for the purposes of providing our products and services to you.
We may also share your personal information:
- If we are required to by a court order, subpoena or other legal requirements
- You have consented to us sharing it with a third-party for a particular purpose
- With an insurance broker or agent acting on your behalf
- Where it is necessary for a third-party to assist us in providing our products and services, for example, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus, lawyers, accountants, loss adjusters
- For any other purposes which are within reasonable expectations or where permitted by law
Some examples of these third parties that we may share your personal information with are:
- Our authorised representatives, distributors, referrers, agents, business partners, affiliates
- Our insurers or underwriters
- Insurance Reference Services (a member-based organisation supporting Australian general insurance company members with understanding policyholder claims history)
- Our service providers
- Our professional advisers
Third-parties will only be provided with access to your information as is reasonably necessary and we will require that such third parties comply with this privacy document, our data security requirements and any applicable laws.
Anonymity and pseudonymity
Australian privacy provides the option of not having to identify yourself, or of using a pseudonym unless we are required or authorised by law or a court/tribunal to identify you, or it is impracticable to deal with you anonymously or by a pseudonym.
Sharing outside of Australia
If your personal information is collected or supplied to an organisation outside of Australia we will ensure it will be held, used or disclosed only in accordance with the Privacy Act. We may store your information in cloud or other types of networked or electronic systems. As electronic or networked systems can be accessed from various countries via an internet connection, it is not always practicable to know in which country your information may be held. If your information is held in this way, disclosures may occur in overseas countries. If this occurs, we will ensure that it will be held, used or disclosed only in accordance with the Privacy Act.
How will we notify you of changes to this document?
From time to time we may need to update this document. We will let you know by email of any changes . Your continued use of the Service after notification of such a change means that you’ve accepted the changes.
How can I access or correct information about me?
We will always give you access to your personal information unless there are legal reasons why we can’t. You can ask us to access or correct your personal information that we hold by calling us on 137 137 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will give you access to your information in the form you want it where it’s reasonable and practical. We may charge you a small fee to cover the costs when giving you access, but we’ll always check with you first.
If we can’t give you access, we will explain why in writing. If you have concerns, you can raise this with us by contacting us – see Contact us.
What happens if something goes wrong
Where any of the personal information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we’ll take reasonable steps to investigate. In accordance with the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme, we will notify you in the event your personal information is involved in a data breach that is likely to result in serious harm. This notification will include recommendations about the steps you should take in response to the breach. We will also notify the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) of eligible data breaches.
How to contact Honey Insurance with questions or complaints
If you have any questions about this policy, or a complaint about our handling of your personal information, or if you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below.
Phone: 137 137