Smart insurance for landlords to protect their big investments

two houses
grandfather and grand child leaving house

Insured in 3 minutes

Our technology identifies info about your investment property to get you covered sooner. 3 minutes to Landlord insurance, that’s smart.

Cover the right stuff

Take the guesstimating out of Landlord insurance. We combine your info with data about your property to help you select the cover that works for you.

The wiser choice

Honey covers your investment property for the essentials, and helps you mitigate your financial risk. We’ll cover your house, even if someone else calls it a home.

Tenants come and go, but cover for clever landlords never goes astray

fire, flood and storm

Natural Disaster Damage

When flood, fire or storm hit

If the worst happens and your property is completely destroyed we’ll cover the cost of reconstructing your property – and we’ll support you through it all.


Tenant Damage

When they’re heavy-handed

If your tenant damages your property or has a mishap, we can help with the repair costs up to 15% of your sum insured.


Loss of Rent

When your tenant evacuates

When your property is unlivable and being repaired after an insured event, we pay the net rental income for up to 12 months or a maximum of 10% of your sum insured.

criminal in balaclava

Theft or Vandalism

When your things go missing

If something of yours gets stolen or vandalised, we’ll cover the costs of replacing it with something new up to 15% of your sum insured.

leaking tap

Water Damage

When a pipe goes kaboom

If your property and things are damaged by water, we’ll cover clean up and repair costs.


Rent Default

When you’re left high and dry

When your tenant is in default, we pay the net rental income up to $5k after bond entitlement.


Fixtures and Fittings

When it’s fixed to the property

We’ll help with loss or damage to floor coverings, blinds and curtains caused by an insured event up to 5% of your sum insured.

sparkling heart

New for Old

When you really value your stuff

If we need to replace any of your things, we’ll cover you for that item’s value today – not its depreciated value. That’s new.

washing machine

Optional Motor Burnout

When your appliance decides to quit

When the electric motor in an appliance less than 10 years old burns out we may be able to cover the cost to have it repaired or replaced.

construction machine

Rebuilding your Property

When you have to start over

Your property is covered up to the agreed sum insured, but we’ll go over and above by up to 30% to help with the costs of design fees, demolition and removal of debris.

These are some of the highlights and benefits of our standard cover for landlords. Please refer to the PDS for details on insured events that can impact claims, as well as other exclusions and limitations.

Smarter questions you can ask about Landlord insurance

  • What is Landlord insurance and why is it important?

    Landlord insurance can cover both the building and the contents of your investment property in the case that they need repair, rebuilding, or replacement after an insured event (a fancy way of saying something happened and then you need to make a claim). This includes protection from unpredictable weather and the impacts of cyclones, floods, storms, and bushfires. Landlord insurance can also protect you against things like theft or damage by a tenant, lost rent, and legal liability.

  • What’s the difference between Landlord and Homeowners insurance?

    There are several differences between Landlord and Homeowners insurance, the main difference being that Landlord insurance provides protection for an investment property you are renting out and not living in, whilst Homeowners insurance is for your primary residence - the place you live in and call home.

    Homeowners insurance covers the home and contents of the house you permanently live in (commonly called a “dwelling”), the things (contents) in your house, and your legal liability related to the investment property. It does not cover the risks that come with having a tenant living at your investment property, such as tenant damage and rent default, making Landlord insurance relevant to cover any investment property that you permanently rent out.

  • I already have Honey Homeowners insurance, do I need Landlord insurance too?

    Firstly, it’s great that you have made Honey insurance the cover for your primary residence - the place you live in and call home. Landlord insurance should not be used to cover your primary residence, however if you have an investment property, Honey Landlord insurance could an option. Landlord insurance can protect your investment property from the risks that come with having a tenant living at your investment property. Additionally, if you’ve borrowed money to buy your investment property, your financial institution may require you to take out insurance on the investment property.

  • Am I covered if my tenant defaults on their rent payments or for other forms of loss of rent?

    If you take out a Landlord insurance policy with Honey, when your tenant is in default, we may pay the net rental income for up to 12 months and up to 10% of your sum insured. If your building is damaged to an extent that the tenant can’t live in it, or access to use your building is not possible due to damage to the investment property or strata title development, we may pay for loss of rent on the insured property for the time it is unoccupied. This benefit is automatically included in your policy and subject to terms and conditions in the PDS.

  • Am I covered if my investment property becomes unoccupied?

    Your investment property will continue to be covered under a Honey Landlord policy against insured events even if it becomes unoccupied. You may be required to pay an additional excess if something happens, but you can rest easy knowing the investment property is covered. We consider your investment property unoccupied if no one has been living in it for more than 60 consecutive days or if someone stays there on average for less than one night a week during the 60 day period.

Honey claims specialist

Claims in rain, hail or shine

Honey is here for you and your home, 24/7/365. Just lodge a claim, and we’ll be at the ready to help get you back on track.

Start protecting your big investment in as little as 3 minutes

Get a smarter quote
rental property