Insurance glossary

The fancy words explained

    • Accessible windows

      Windows that are less than 3 metres above the ground or any solid structure not forming part of the house e.g. retaining walls.

    • Accident

      An event or incident which you didn’t intend or expect.

    • Accidental damage

      Damage caused by an accident.

    • Advice

      A statement made which influences or is intended to influence a person to purchase a particular financial product or service. Advice can be personal or general.

    • As new

      For your home – rebuild or repair it using the same materials if they are readily available in Australia or equivalent materials in terms of quality, purpose and specifications.

      For your contents – replace them with new items which are readily available in Australia and which are their current equivalent in terms of quality and price, regardless of brand or supplier.

    • Body corporate

      A body corporate or owner’s corporation under any law relating to the management of subdivided lots or units and common property.

    • Business

      Any business, trade, profession or other activity you earn income from. This does not include:

      • casual babysitting, or child minding
      • domestic garage sales
      • renting out your home (as long as you previously told us about it)

      It includes any other business operated from the risk address.

    • Certificate of Currency

      A Certificate of Currency is a document that confirms your policy is current from the date it’s been issued and lists the details of your insurance policy. This document is an important part of the home loan process, as most financiers will require you to provide it as proof that the property is insured.

    • Collection

      A number of items that are brought together or collected as part of an interest or hobby. It includes collections of coins, stamps, models, toys, badges, spoons or wine.

    • Commercial rental

      A property that is used solely for business purposes. Examples of commercial rentals include malls, office parks, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores and office towers.

    • Commercial storage facility

      Storage units provided through Storage Service Providers such as (but not limited to) Kennards or National Storage. Storage units can be self-storage, managed storage or serviced storage and are acceptable when:

      • the storage facility is registered and
      • the storage unit is for the insured’s exclusive use and
      • employees of the provider attend the facility daily or the facility is fully secure and accessed only through using a security key
    • Common area

      Any area of a community title scheme, strata title scheme or flats which is not part of your lot or tenancy unless it is secure and you have exclusive access to it under the by-laws of your body corporate or tenancy agreement. It includes garages, storage areas, parking areas, walkways and stairwells.

    • Consequential loss

      Any loss or extra expense which indirectly results from an event we cover under your policy. For example:

      • any extra expense to replace undamaged property to create a uniform appearance
      • not being able to match bricks if the insured event ‘Impact’ damages a brick wall on your home
      • the drop in an item’s value after it has been repaired or replaced
      • you purchased an extended warranty for a TV or DVD player which is destroyed by an insured event – we’ll replace the item but we won’t give you a new extended warranty
      • lost pay because you are unable to get to work because of an insured event
    • Contents (household)

      Your household contents are the household goods and personal items located at the insured address including, but not limited to, CDs and DVDs, clothing and bags, electrical appliances and electronic equipment, furniture and furnishings, jewellery and watches, sporting and recreational items, tools and garden equipment, other items such as unregistered motorised wheelchairs and non-structural fixtures and fittings that are not insured under any other insurance policy. For excluded items, see the Household PDS.

    • Cost to us

      What it would cost us, including any discounts that are available to us, to repair, rebuild or replace your home or contents when the loss or damage took place.

    • Discounted Premium

      The discounted premium is the amount charged as part of having the Smart Home program and keeping your smart sensor kit activated for at least 14 days in any given month.

    • Duplex

      A building divided into 2 individual units or townhouses that share a common wall and can be individually owned.

    • Eligible Policyholders

      Customers who are presented the option to participate in the Smart Home program based on criteria such as policy type.

    • Excess

      The amount you pay towards the cost of your claim. Your Certificate of Insurance shows the type and amount of excess that applies to your policy. More than one excess may apply.

    • Executor of the will

      An Executor of the will is responsible for carrying out the wishes of a person after they are deceased.

    • Family or your family

      Your family who permanently live with you at your home which includes your legal or de facto spouse and any member of your family or your spouse’s family.

    • Fixed swimming pool

      Includes an in ground or an above ground pool which involved completing excavations or installing permanent structures like decks, ladders and fences. A fixed swimming pool also includes its fixed accessories like a pump, motor and filters.

    • Fixtures and fittings

      Items such as wallpaper, internal paint, window dressings and floor coverings that are purchased and installed in a rental property by a tenant or landlord, that are not covered under the Body Corporate policy.

    • Flat

      A residential building owned by a single person or entity that is divided into a number of self-contained areas that can be rented, shared or leased to individuals. The building cannot be subdivided and the flats cannot be individually sold.

    • Forced entry

      Illegal entry into your home or where you are staying which includes illegally using keys or picking locks. It does not include entering your home through an unlocked door, window or skylight.

    • Good condition

      Good condition means your insured building and your common contents are well maintained, free from material damage, decay, and defects that could reasonably be expected to increase the risk of loss or damage that contributes to or is caused by an incident.

      This includes but is not limited to your building having:

      • a sound and solid structure with no leaks, holes, or rot
      • roof and gutters that are securely attached to the building with no damage, rust, signs of deterioration or excess debris
      • exterior walls, windows, paths, paving and outdoor structures that have no peeling or damaged paintwork, settlement cracks, shifting or subsidence, deteriorating timber or cladding, missing / broken glass, or missing grout or cement in brickwork
      • stairs, railings and fences that are intact with no missing panels, deteriorating timber or visible damage
      • no damage from or infestation of termites, ants, birds, or vermin
      • no squatters or unauthorised persons living in the building
    • Habitable

      Property is fit for a person to live in with all services operational (e.g. electricity, gas, sewage, water) and free of defects that may endanger the health and safety of occupants / visitors.

    • Home unit

      A home which shares a wall with any other structure that is not part of the home (e.g. an apartment or townhouse).

    • Immediate family


      • legal or de facto spouse or partner
      • parents, parents-in-law and grandparents
      • children, grandchildren and brothers and sisters as well as all of their children and legal or de facto spouses or partners
      • children, parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers and sisters of your legal or de facto spouse or partner
    • Incident

      An event which you did not intend or expect.

    • Includes

      This has a non-exhaustive meaning in this Product Disclosure Statement. As well as the things actually named, other things can come within the same category or list.

    • Individual Items at Home

      Items that you ask us to cover inside your home for more than the general limits we pay for them. You select the sum insured for the item and you pay an extra premium to cover it for that amount. Your Individual Items at Home are shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

    • Individual Items away from Home

      The Individual items away from the home that you ask us to cover anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. This is an optional benefit which you need to pay an extra premium for. Your chosen Individual Items or the Group cover option you choose are shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

    • Input Tax Credit (ITC)

      A person or business entity that is registered for GST can be entitled to claim a credit for the GST they pay for items or services purchased in the course of carrying on their business.

    • Insured address

      The address or addresses shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

    • Leak

      Liquids that are leaking, bursting, discharging or overflowing from household domestic appliances and furniture, pipes, gutters, tanks, drains, bathroom and toilet fixtures.

    • Local alarm system

      Alarm system that activates a loud noise when triggered.

    • Lock up stage

      Property is at lock up stage when the exterior of the property is complete and the property can be securely locked e.g. meet minimum security standards.

    • Monitored (back to base) alarm system

      Alarm system that alerts a security company when triggered.

    • Mortgage

      A mortgage is a loan taken out to buy property or land. The loan is 'secured' against the value of your home until it’s paid off.

    • Non-Binary

      Non-binary is an experience of gender that is not simply male or female. People whose gender is not male, or female use many different terms to describe themselves, with non-binary being one of the most common.

    • Non-commercial rental

      A property that is classed as residential rental used for living purposes.

    • Open air

      Anywhere at the insured address that is not fully enclosed and lockable. For example, on your uncovered balcony or in a motor vehicle at your home.

    • Pair/set

      Contents items that are regarded as a unit. It includes earrings, golf clubs, candle holders, dinner set and ornaments.

    • Policy

      Your policy includes:

      • the Certificate of Insurance
      • this Product Disclosure Statement
      • any issued Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement
    • Policy Start Date

      This is the date that the policy will start and when insurance coverage is considered to be active and in place.

    • Power of Attorney

      A power of attorney is someone you appoint to make financial and personal decisions on your behalf. There are 2 types of power of attorney:

      • a general power of attorney – can be appointed for a specific time period or event to act on your behalf. the general power of attorney ends when you lose capacity (you are unable to make your own decisions)
      • an enduring power of attorney – is appointed to make personal and/or financial decisions on your behalf when you are incapacitated / unable to make your own decisions

      Once a person is deceased, any power of attorney becomes null and void; this is superseded by the Executor of the will.

    • Premium

      The amount you pay for the cover we give you under your policy. It includes any compulsory government statutory charges, levies, duties, GST or other taxes that may apply.

    • Public Trustee

      The Public Trustee can act for a person who is deceased or unable to manage their own affairs. Public trustee letters will state if they are acting on the behalf of a deceased estate or if they are acting only in a financial capacity.

    • Renovations

      When any part of the roof, floor or external walls of your home are removed to allow additions, alterations, repairs or decoration to be completed to your home.

    • Retaining wall

      A wall that is not part of the building you live in and is designed to hold back and retain earth or water.

    • Self-contained flat

      Flats that do not share amenities such as bathrooms, kitchens, lounges etc. an exception is shared laundry facilities, flats can share laundry facilities and still be self-contained.

    • Settlement Date

      This is the day you take legal possession of your new home. The exact date is agreed between the buyer and seller and is then specified in the contract of sale.

    • Smart Home Program

      The Smart Home Program provides eligible policyholders the option to receive a smart home sensor kit that can detect and alert you to common household risks when correctly installed, activated and maintained in an operational state.

    • Smart Home Sensor Kit

      The smart home sensor kit is provided at no additional cost and an ongoing discount is applied to the policy premium for customers that accept the Smart Home program and install and keep their sensors activated at all times. If your sensors are inactive for more than 14 days in a calendar month you may lose your discount for that month.

    • Sporting equipment

      Equipment you use for sporting activities (including competitions), leisure and recreational activities.

      It does not include:

      • camping equipment, diving equipment, parachute, model craft, hang glider, aircraft, motor vehicle, motorcycle, trail bike, mini bike, motorised go-cart
      • any spare part or accessory for that equipment (including any helmet, gloves, boots, goggles or over-suit)
    • Strata title

      Strata titles allow individuals to have ownership of part of a property and share ownership of the remaining areas. Typical examples include apartments, units and townhouses where you own a living space and share ownership of the common driveways, gardens and land.

    • Temporary home or structure

      A structure you live in which is not fixed to foundations set into the ground and is not connected to services on the site.

    • Temporary / unfixed pool

      A swimming pool that is not a fixed swimming pool which includes an inflatable or above ground swimming pool or spa that is mounted on its own accessories or on a temporary site.

    • Terrorism

      An act by any person or group, including the use of or threat to use force or violence for political, religious, ideological, ethnic or similar purposes (including the purpose of influencing the government) and/or that is intended to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear.

    • Tools of trade

      Tools that are usually used for a business.

    • Undiscounted Premium

      The undiscounted premium is the amount charged when the choice is made to opt out of the Smart Home program or if sensors are not kept activated at all times.

    • Uninhabitable

      Property is not fit for a person to live in, does not yet have operational services (e.g. electricity, gas, sewage, water) and / or has defects that may endanger the health and safety of occupants / visitors.

    • Units

      A residential building divided into a number of self-contained areas that can be owned by individuals or entities, have separate titles and can be sold individually. Units may be registered under a Body Corporate scheme.

    • Unoccupied

      No one has been living in your home for more than 60 days and you did not tell us beforehand that it would be unoccupied for 60 days or longer. Your home is also unoccupied if someone stays there on average for less than one night a week during the 60 day period.

    • Unoccupied multiple dwellings including flats, duplex etc.

      More than 50% of the residential lots contained in the building are and have been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days unless advice has been received and an agreement in writing to cover you has been provided.

    • Uplift rate

      The percentage increase used by us to increase home or contents sums insured when we offer to renew a policy. We decide what that percentage will be.

    • Water runoff

      Water which enters your home as a result of it running off or overflowing from any origin or cause.

    • We, us

      Honey Insurance Pty Ltd – ABN 52 643 672 628, AFS Licence Number 528244

    • Wrongful act


      • breach of trust
      • negligent act, statement or omission
      • misstatement
      • misleading statements
      • breach of warranty or authority
    • You, your

      The persons shown as the policyholders on the Certificate of Insurance and their family who permanently live with them at the insured address.